Friday, September 25, 2009

Shirting The Issue

With plaid and ripped denim being big trends right now, it's clear that the 1990's grunge look is back in a big way. What else would fit in with the grunge trend? How about shirt dresses? A shirt dress is a button-down dress that will often have a collar, cuffed sleeves, and/or pockets as well. A lot of the styles of shirt dresses I've seen have a plaid or vertical stripe pattern. The more girly styles may have a polka dot print or other feminine details like ruffles. I've also found some shirt dresses with more modified details such cinching at the waist (to help define the waistline). I even managed to dig up some sleeveless shirt dresses that you can layer or wear on a warmer day. I like this trend because it is the perfect mix of femininity and menswear-inspired details. Plus, I love any throwback to the 90's since that's where all my childhood memories are. If you think this trend sounds like fun, take a look at some of my shirt dress finds below.

Swiss-Dot Shirt Dress, $19.99, shown in gold; also available in black and blue, sizes S-XXXL (black only available in M and blue only available in S), alloy.com

Acres-Of-Indigo Shirtdress, $49.95, shown in blue; also available in white, sizes S-L, anthropologie.com

Buffalo Plaid Shirt Dress, $28.99, available in sizes S and M, charlotterusse.com

Plaid Shirt Dress, $26.99, available in sizes S-L, charlotterusse.com

Plaid Tie Dress, $28.99, available in sizes S-L, charlotterusse.com

Plaid Tunic, $22.99, available in sizes S-L, charlotterusse.com

Ruffle Shirt Dress, $26.99, available in sizes S-L, charlotterusse.com

Striped Shirt Dress, $28.99, available in sizes S-L, charlotterusse.com

Ruffle Front Shirtdress, $36.99, available in sizes M and L, mandee.com

Aimee Stripe Dress, $44.50, available in sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Alyssa Shirt Dress, $44.50, shown in dark blue; also available in natural, purple, and teal, sizes 00-13/14, delias.com

Chambray Shirtdress, $39.50, available in sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Anna Plaid Shirtdress, $44.50, shown in multi; also available in blue, sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Crystal Bias Plaid Dress, $44.50, available in sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Crystal Solid Dress, $44.50, shown in purple; also available in black and blue, sizes XS-XL, delias.com


Eileen Plaid Dress, $44.50, shown in blue; also available in black, sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Gracie Plaid Dress, $44.50, shown in white; also available in blue, grey, purple, red, teal, and yellow, sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Kirstie Plaid Dress, $44.50, shown in blue; also available in black, pink, purple, and red, sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Lexie Plaid Dress, $44.50, available in sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Marisa Plaid Dress, $44.50, available in sizes XS-Xl, delias.com

Melody Gingham Dress, $44.50, available in sizes S-L, delias.com

Mona Chambray Dress, $44.50, available in sizes XS-XL, delias.com

Voile Shirt Dress, $29.99, shown in rosedust; also available in mint green, sizes 0-12, frenchconnection.com

American Rag Shirtdress Belted Plaid Jersey, $45.00, sizes XS-L, macys.com

Apppropriate Behavior Ruffle Front Shirt Dress, $39.00, available in sizes 5/6-11/12, macys.com

Baby Phat Short-Sleeved Shirt Dress, $51.75, available in sizes M and L, macys.com

Fleurish Puffed-Sleeve Buffalo Plaid Shirtdress, $24.99, shown in purple; also available in red, sizes S-XL, macys.com

Grass Short-Sleeve Gingham Belted Shirtdress, $35.40, available in sizes 3-13, macys.com


Roxy Goodtimes Plaid Shirtdress, $32.70, available in sizes XS-XL ,macys.com

Fox Laney Dress, $44.50, available in sizes MED and LRG, pacsun.com

Lucy Love Cabana Blue Dress, $49.50, available in sizes XS-LRG, pacsun.com

Lucy Love Harper Dress, $42.50, shown in teal; also available in black, sizes XS-LRG, pacsun.com

Lucy Love Montana Dress, $49.50, shown in black; also available in taupe, sizes XS-LRG, pacsun.com

ROULETTE Twill Ruffle Cap Sleeve Shirt Dress, $39.99, available in sizes Small-Extra large, sears.com

Kimichi Blue Pintuch Shirtdress, $39.99, shown in cornrow; also available in white and obama blue, sizes x-small-large, urbanoutfitters.com

Buffalo Plaid Shirt Dress, $24.50, shown in pink; also available in white, black, and aqua, sizes XS-M, wetseal.com

Buffalo Yoke Dress, $12.99, shown in fuchsia; also available in red and green, sizes XS-L, wetseal.com

Button Front Halter Dress, $19.50, available in sizes XS-XL, wetseal.com

Rail Road Stripe Tunic, $19.50, available in sizes M and L, wetseal.com

To get a grunge-inspired look, wear one of the plaid shirt dresses with either a pair of ripped jeans or cutout leggings and some sneakers. You can also pair a plaid shirt dress with some distressed jeans, cowboy boots, a braided belt, and a cowboy hat for a westen-inspied look. For a menswear-inspired look, pair one of the vertical striped shirt dresses with some tailored pants, oxford shoes, a necktie, and a fedora hat. Provide contrast with a dotted shirt dress by pairing it with some argyle tights. You can also get this contrast with a gingham shirt dress and a pair of floral print tights. For the office, wear a long or short-sleeved solid colored shirt dress with some tailored pants and stiletto shoes. For a vintage vibe, wear a ruffled or frilly shirt dress with a pair of lace tights, a bow headband, a pearl bracelet, and some ballet flats. When it gets really cold, you can layer one of the sleeveless shirt dresses over a sweater like you would with a jumper. Pair the sweater and sleeveless shirt dress with some thick tights and slouch boots. If you plan on lounging around at an indoor pool this fall, any of these shirt dresses can be used as a stylish swimsuit cover-up. For a fun fall style, wear any shirt dress with a pair of denim legggings or skinny jeans and some peep-toe booties. To look like you just rolled out of bed and threw on your boyfriend's (or fiance's or husband's) clothes, wear a plaid, vertical striped, or solid shirt dress (without any girly details) with a pair of boyfriend jeans and sneakers. You can also style your hair in a loose ponytail or messy bun to follow suit. If you get a shirt dress that isn't already cinched at the waist, you may wish to add a belt to it. If you have any of your own ideas for styling a shirt dress, let me know.

22 comments:

Dibsy said...

Errrg. D: If only I had the body for a shress. It just looks awkward on me. >.<

Tara said...

Have you tried different styles? Sometimes if one style doesn't look good, another style will. Also, shirt dresses tend to run big so you might want to try going one size down.

Anonymous said...

Yes Yes ur right Dibsy

P.s. Dibsy check out my new post

Dibsy said...

Ehhhk. I guess it's because the only shresses I have are frilly and big and weird. D: KIDS WEAR CLOTHES TOO!

Tara said...

Remy Ma: Thank you for commenting.

Dibsy: Yeah, it may be a problem if the shirt dresses are too big. You might be able to alter them, but I would advise you not to spend any money to get that done since you're still growing (plus, who really has that kind of money right now anyway?). If you know anyone who can sew, see if they'll help you out for free.

I know how tough it can be to find clothes that fit properly when you're still growing. Just keep looking though and always try on before buying (or at least make sure you can easily return it if you can't do this).

Rachel @ The Haute Notes said...

I absolutely love plaid! Those plaid dresses from Delia's are fab! I think I might just have to get one!

Tara said...

I'm glad you like all the plaid. I agree, all the plaid shirt dresses from Delia's are great. They will look good on you.

Arushi Khosla said...

I want one!

Tara said...

I wish I could have them all!

Anonymous said...

WhhAat?!? >.< ---> Weird Face (?)

Dibsy said...

ERGGG. D:

SOOO...how's your hair nowadays? :]

Anonymous said...

WHat r u talkin' about me. Gwwwwwwwwarrgh

Dibsy said...

I'm talking to Tara?? :o?

Tara said...

My hair has been looking pretty good lately. It's still naturally frizzy, so I've been straightening it with my flatiron. I'm thinking about dying it another color since I have a friend who's good with dying hair. I'm not sure what color to go with yet though and I haven't been able to see my friend for a while.

Dibsy said...

Ohhhh...is your hair blond? :o I haven't seen how you look like but maybe I could help. :o

Tara said...

No, my hair isn't blond (although that is a color I have been considering). My hair is a light to medium shade of brown with some blond highlights. I'm thinking about dying it dark/dirty blond. Another color I've thought about is strawberry blond, but I was told shades of red fade quickly with dark hair. Then again, I'm not even sure if I want to get a permanent color yet anyway.

PhilO♥ said...

I want all these dresses :( :(
Whose the lucky guy huh :p

street angel said...

I love the shirt dresses!!

Dibsy said...

You should maybe do something so you can see how you look before you decide to get it done. (I have a red wig and a blond wig)

glee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
glee said...

i love all the plaid shirt dresses, and I'm glad i've got the body for it, not unless i lose too much weight after sickness :(

what i love most about this type of dress is the 'must-wear-belt'. they'll look very glamorous with belts - and i love belts a lot.

have a great weekend. :)

Tara said...

Cursed: I want all of these dresses too! The lucky guy is my fiance. His name is James. He doesn't have a blog on here, but I'm trying to talk him into starting one for video games.

Style Bird: I'm glad you like the shirt dresses.

Dibsy: That's a good idea. I'll see if any of my friends have blond or red wigs that I can borrow.

Gleenn: I'm glad you like the plaid shirt dresses. I have the body for this trend too. :) I agree, it looks very stylish with a belt. I like belts too, especially studded belts. I think my favorite thing about shirt dresses is the way they look with leggings and skinny jeans. Absolutely fabulous!