Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Velvet Crush

With lace, ruffles, floral prints, bows, and flower headbands still being very much in style for 2010, it's clear that romance and femininity won't be going out of style any time soon. The newest trend that you can enjoy being a girl in is velvet. Velvet was a big trend on the runways and has also been spotted on various celebrities. I think velvet is the perfect fabric to wear during the winter because it will keep you fairly warm but isn't as itchy as wool can be (velvet is also a good alternative to wool for anyone who has wool allergies). While velvet was once very expensive and considered a luxury good, there are now velvet items that are inexpensive, gorgeous, and long lasting. Take a look at my finds below to see what I'm talking about.

Velvet Bandage Mini Skirt, $19.99, available in sizes XS-L, ardenb.com

Velvet Blazer, $59.99, available in sizes 00, 0, and 12, bananarepublic.com

Hottie Spotty Passport Case, $68.00, betseyjohnson.com

Hottie Spotty Large Cosmetic, $68.00, betseyjohnson.com

Hottie Spotty Small Zip, $28.00, betseyjohnson.com

Ski Bunny Extra Soft Over-The-Knee High, $30.00, betseyjohnson.com

Wolford Velvet De Luxe 50 Tights, $42.00, available in sizes X Small-Large, bloomingdales.com

Velvet Driver, $9.99, bakersshoes.com

Crushed Velvet Shrug, $13.80, available in sizes Small-Large, forever21.com

Edith Velvet Boots, $30.80, available in sizes 6-10, forever21.com

Embellished Velvet Flats, $19.80, available in sizes 6-8, forever21.com

Jocelyn Velvet Trim Pump, $14.99, shown in black; also available in taupe, sizes 7-10, forever21.com

Phantasy Velvet Flat, $14.80, shown in gold; also available in silver, sizes 6-10, forever21.com

Posh Stiletto Heel, $20.80, available in sizes 6-9, forever21.com

Shiny Velvet Headband, $3.80, forever21.com

Studded Velvet Pump, $25.80, available in sizes 6-10, forever21.com

Velvet Bodysuit, $15.50, available in sizes Small-Large, forever21.com

Velvet Bow Back Blazer, $32.80, available in sizes X-Small-Medium, forever21.com

Velvet Leggings, $3.99, shown in burgundy; also available in purple, sizes X-Small-Large, forever21.com

Velvet Military Jacket, $34.80, available in sizes Small and Medium, forever21.com

Velvet Over The Knee Boot, $36.80, available in sizes 6-8, forever21.com

Velvet Pearl Trim Jacket, $12.99, available in sizes Small and Medium, forever21.com

Velvet Pumps, $12.80, available in sizes 6-10, forever21.com

Royal Velvet Dress, $49.95, shown in red plum combo; also available in blue grey combo; sizes 0-12, freepeople.com

Velvet Fringe Jacket, $29.95, available in sizes M and L, freepeople.com

Boxed Flower Barette, $30.00, juicycouture.com

Velvet Headband, $25.00, juicycouture.com

Apple Bottoms Jacket, Long Sleeve Zip Up, $29.99, available in sizes M and L, macys.com

All Around The Mulberry Heels, $49.99, available in sizes 6-9.5, modcloth.com

Iconic Style Included Top, $49.99, available in sizes S-L, modcloth.com

Fresh Prints of Bel Air Skirt, $42.99, available in sizes S-L, modcloth.com

Fresh Prints of Bel Air Top, $59.99, available in sizes S-L, modcloth.com

Flutter Velvet Top, $13.99, available in sizes S-L, mandee.com

Snakeskin Velvet Legging, $10.20, available in sizes S and M, mandee.com

Velvet Capelet, $12.00, mandee.com

Velvet Over The Knee Boot, $34.49, available in sizes 6-10, mandee.com

Silence & Noise Long Sleeve Velvet Mini Dress, $29.99, shown in plum; also available in black, sizes Medium and Large, urbanoutfitters.com

Silence & Noise Strapless Velvet Dress, $29.99, shown in thames blue; also available in black and purple, sizes Small-Large (thames blue and purple only available in large), urbanoutfitters.com

Silence & Noise Velvet Bodysuit, $24.99, shown in concord; also available in black, sizes xsmall-large, urbanoutfitters.com

Silence & Noise Velvet Printed Legging, $34.00, available in sizes x-small and small, urbanoutfitters.com

Fownes Velvet Glove With Faux Fur Cuff, $6.99, sears.com

Fownes Velvet Glove With Leopard Cuff, $4.99, sears.com

Tuscany Velvet Romantic Hat, $34.99, sears.com

Velvet Tunic Dress, $7.99, shown in walnut; also available in black, lavish wine, and conservative grey, sizes S-L (lavish wine not available in S), nyandcompany.com

Wrap Buckle Boot, $39.50, available in sizes 6.5-10, wetseal.com

Washed Velvet Skirt, $69.00, shown in black; also available in very berry, okra, and woodsmoke, sizes 2-16, athleta.com

Jasmin Apple Pkt Velvet Legging, $39.99, shown in red; also available in jet, sizes 1/2 and 3/4, applebottoms.com

I hope you enjoyed my little velvet finds for this post. One word of advice though; velvet can be tricky to clean and often requires either hand washing or dry cleaning. So be careful when wearing it and try to avoid spilling anything on it (I know easier said than done). I'll admit to not being much of an expert on stain removal myself, so if anyone has any tips on how to get stains out of velvet, please let me know. Thank you!

11 comments:

Christina said...

Ooh I agree, plush velvet is such a perfect fabric! I have some velvet hairbows but I want a lot of the pieces you showed here!

Tara said...

Hi Christina! Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I'm glad you liked the pieces I picked out. Your velvet hair bows sound cool.

Sher said...

Oh I have a bandage skirt just like that first pic but unfortunately its not velvet! I do own a pair of blue velvet shoes which I love to bits now!

Great post, Tara:)

xx

Rachel @ The Haute Notes said...

Fabulous velvet selections!

glee said...

i love that black velvet blazer girl :) miss being here

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

i LOVE that velvet mini skirt!!
velvet is definitely the softest and one of the loveliest fabrics--i had a black velvet dress when i was 9 which i wore until it had holes in it!

Tara said...

Sher: Your skirt sounds cute and so do your blue velvet shoes. Glad you enjoyed this post!

Rachel: I'm glad you liked the velvet items I picked out.

Gleenn: I'm glad you like the black velvet blazer. I've missed you as well and I also miss visiting your blog frequently.

What Would A Nerd Wear: Hi What Would A Nerd Wear! Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I'm glad you liked the velvet mini skirt. I own many velvet articles of clothing myself. I used to wear my clothes down like that too!

Rohini said...

I am not the biggest fan of velvet, I always thought it was too over-the-top and slightly gaudy, but I have to admit, this post certainly changed my mind.
The velvet skirt and the velvet trimmed shoes are beyond gorgeous. :)
Xx

Helene said...

Velvet and velveteen are very soft, warm and luxurious looking fabrics. I enjoy my velveteen pantsuits on cold days.

What is the difference between velvet and velveteen?

Becky Tjandera said...

Wow nice finds ! I think I need at least one velvet item in my wardrobe . Haha . Thanks for sharing !

Tara said...

CC: I'm glad you enjoyed this post and I'm glad it changed your mind about velvet.

Helene: Velveteen is imitation velvet that's made of a cotton cloth. It's sometimes made of a velvet and silk mix.

Beckyxoxo: I'm glad you liked my finds. Velvet would definitely be a good investment. I own quite a few velvet pieces myself.